Golden Paste For Your Greyhound's Health
Looking for a natural food additive to boost your greyhound’s health? Golden Paste is a powerful antioxidant and a superb supplement that is known for its anti-inflammatory properties. The active ingredient in Golden Paste is curcumin which derives from the roots of the turmeric plant (Curcuma Longa). This vibrant, yellow spice is widely used in Indian cuisine and you might recognize it as one of the main ingredients in curries. However, turmeric’s applications go far beyond your kitchen! In fact, it has been readily used in Ayurvedic medicine for centuries.
Health Effects of Golden Paste
Golden Paste is a proven health booster for dogs and humans alike. Studies have shown that curcumin possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer activities, as it lowers cyclooxygenase-2 (cox-2) levels, which are responsible for inflammatory processes in the body (source). These properties contribute to alleviating arthritis pain, reducing the risk of thrombosis and ease the side effects of chemo therapy, to name a few.
This being said, Curcumin itself exhibits a poor bioavailability and therefore will be metabolized by the body very quickly. Essentially, this means that your greyhound is missing out on most of the benefits curcumin has to offer. Now, this is where other ingredients come into play, to turn the turmeric spice into healthy Golden Paste!
Piperine, a compound found in black pepper, enhances curcumin absorption in the body by up to 2,000% (source).
Curcumin is fat soluble. As such, it grabs onto the fatty acids in the coconut oil and travels throughout the body, spreading all its goodness.
Golden paste recipe for greyhounds
- Small pan
- Glass container (e.g. mason jar)
- 250 ml Water (= 1 cup)
- 70 g Curcuma/Turmeric Powder (= 1/2 cup)
- 70 ml Organic Coconut Oil (= 4 tbsp)
- 2.5 g Ground Black Pepper (= 2 tsp)
- Combine water and curcuma/turmeric powder in a small pan and bring to a boil. Simmer on low to medium heat for 5-10 minutes while stirring until it forms a smooth, thick paste.
- Once a paste has formed, take pan off the heat and add the organic coconut oil as well as the ground black pepper. Keep stirring until all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- Fill paste into a glass mason jar, let cool, seal and then store in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.
- Dosing: 1/4 tsp per 10 pounds of dog OR 1/2 tsp per 10 kg of dog
- When first introducing Golden Paste to your dog's diet, start with a lower dose and increase gradually
- Turmeric stains - Be careful not to spill!
How to Dose Golden Paste for your hound
Dosing depends on the size and weight of your greyhound. As a rule of thumb, you can mix in 1/4 tsp of Golden Paste per 10 pounds of dog per day with their regular meal. Most dogs love coconut oil and will gladly accept the new supplement in their food. As Golden Paste tends to firm up their poop, we recommend starting with a rather small dose. From there, gradually work your way up to the recommended amount. In any case, make sure you use high quality products, such as non-deodorized, organic coconut oil.